So here’s one more post that will teach you how to mix with locals. The #1 lesson is: love and support FC Porto!
Tripeiros are super proud of their local team! The true is that the city of Porto has more different football clubs, like Boavista, but the majority of the local population is crazy about Dragões (FC Porto stadium is the Dragon Stadium). The blue flags are everywhere, specially when it’s soccer season!
If you get the chance to see a match you should not miss it, it’s a great experience! Prices can vary but it’s easy to find cheap tickets. It’s also easy to access the stadium: just take the subway to Estádio do Dragão station. If there’s no match happening you can go to FC Porto Museum (you can find more info HERE).
To help you feel like a local and true FC Porto fan, here’s a few info that you can use in any conversation that will make you sound like a pro:
- FC Porto was founded in 1893.
- The Dragon Stadium was built in 2004 to host the European Championship, and can hold 50.000 spectators.
- FC Porto won 27 leagues titles, being the second-most awarded team in Portugal.
- FC Porto have won 16 Portugugese Cups and 20 Portuguese Super Cups.
- Also, FC Porto won 2 Champions League (1986-87 and 2003-04), 1 UEFA cup, 1 Europe League, 2 Intercontinental Cups and 1 Europe Super Cup.
- Vincent Aboubakar was the top scorer in the Champions League in the 2015-16 season!
- Nuno Espirito Santo is now in charge of FC Porto for the 2016-17 season. Before he managed Valencia and is a former goalkeeper, and played at Porto.
Now that you know, go watch a game! Let us know if you are ready to become a Tripeiro ;)